The properties of the water combined with the skill and specialized training of our aquatic therapists will help you to improve your mobility and function.
Aquatic Therapy offered in our 93° therapeutic pool has many benefits for a vast amount of conditions including:
- Joint Rehabilitation (Hip, Knee, Ankle, Foot)
- Chronic Pain
- Low back Pain and Sciatic Pain
- Muscle Weakness in the Core & Legs
- Endurance and Agility
- Balance and Stabilization
- Neurological Conditions
- Orthopedic injuries
- Gait Deviations
- Falls Prevention
Buoyancy of water reduces the gravitational pull which:
- Relieves stress on painful, achy joints
- Allows for low impact exercises
- Reduces Pain
- Increases joint flexibility and movement of the body
- Reduces loss of balance and stability
- Increases reaction time without fear of falling
- Achieves a gentle decompression of the spine and joints
- Allows patients to perform exercises that are too difficult on land
Viscosity of water provides resistance which:
- Strengthens the muscles and Stabilizes the trunk & core
- Improves range of motion
- Challenges balance
*Equipment with an increased surface area is used to increase strength
Warm Temperature of the water
- Provides comfort and promotes relaxation
- Increases blood supply to sore muscles
- Reduces increased tone due to neurological injury
*Studies have shown that patients who cannot be active on land will be able to move more in the water, thus improving their overall condition.
Many doctors are recommending strengthening activities prior to having joint surgery, to make the recovery easier on you. This may seem like a difficult feat, because you are probably in pain, and that is the reason you are getting surgery. When you are in pain, you tend to avoid certain activities involving that painful joint and then your muscles will get weak, effecting your body’s ability to protect that joint. Studies have shown that if you are in better condition before surgery you will have stronger muscles, better flexibility and recover faster with less complications. Our warm water pool would be perfect for pre-surgery therapy. The water will allow you to strengthen your muscles and gain more mobility without being as painful as it would if you were on land.
At your initial evaluation it will be decided if a pre-surgery program would benefit you and what exercises would help you without irritating the pre-existing condition. In some cases, pre-surgery strengthening can help people avoid surgery.